Mercury Court is a 5,000 m2 mixed use commercial building in Ottawa’s By Ward Market. Constructed in 1923 as a family department store (Larocque’s), the building was vacant during the 1980’s reflecting changing shopping patterns in downtown Ottawa. In 1989, Barry Padolsky Associates Inc., Architects was commissioned to expand and renovate the existing structure. The scope of work included the replacing and complete retrofit of the building with major changes to its exterior appearance. The project included the addition of 50% of the floor area, a new atrium, and an ornamental clock tower. The George Street tower features the “Mercury” weathervane rescued from Ottawa’s Sun Life Building demolished in 1949.
Mercury Court’s new domed clock tower on the corner of Dalhousie and George Streets is crowned by the “flying Mercury”, a copper weathervane. This civic landmark was designed by the American sculptor W. H. Muller, for Ottawa’s Sun Life Building (demolished in 1949). It was donated to the Mercury Court Building by the Ottawa Historical Society and installed on February 20, 1989.