The Frechette House, constructed in 1877, is a heritage building designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (City of Ottawa Bylaw 72-80). The house is located at 87 MacKay Street facing the Governor General’s Residence, within the historic neighbourhood of New Edinburgh in Ottawa.
Following a major fire in March, 2013, BPA were engaged by the owners to be the architects for the reconstruction and restoration of the house. Due to the need to protect and stabilize the remaining historical fabric as quickly as possible, the overall project required several phases under multiple tenders, including Demolition and Emergency Cleanup; Roof/Third Floor Reconstruction; Mould Remediation; and Fire Damage Repair/Restoration.
The highest quality of workmanship was maintained throughout the project to ensure the house was reconstructed and restored to its original appearance and detailing, while still meeting current building code standards.
In 2015, the project was awarded the CAHP|ACECP Award of Excellence in the category of Conservation Projects – Small and Lovely.